Georgia Driver and Vehicle Services FAQs

  1. Q: Can I obtain a learner’s permit even though I am not enrolled in school?

    A: To obtain a learner’s permit in Georgia, a resident between 15 years of age and 18 years of age must be enrolled in school. If a resident is not enrolled in school, he or she must show proof of a special diploma, GED or high school diploma. He or she may also provide proof of enrollment in a GED program or postsecondary school.

  2. Q: When can I make an appointment to take my driver’s test?

    A: A driving test appointment can be made at a DDS Customer Service Center up to 120 days in advance by contacting the Center’s reservation line. The appointment must be made at least 30 minutes before the Venter’s closing time. Road tests may be cancelled if severe weather, including heavy snow or rain, is present.

  3. Q: Can I mail in an address change for my Georgia driver’s license?

    A: No. Georgia address changes for licenses and identification cards can only be made online or in person. Address changes cannot be made by mail or by phone.

  4. Q: What type of Commercial Drivers License do I need to have in Georgia to drive a school bus?

    A: To legally operate a school bus in Georgia, a driver must possess a valid Commercial Drivers License with a passenger endorsement and a school bus driver endorsement. The driver must pass a basic skills test, driving test and vehicle inspection on a school bus similar to the one he or she plans to operate.

  5. Q: Do I need to keep the paper copy of my medical examiner’s certificate for my Commercial Drivers License?

    A: No. Once the certificate is turned in to the DDS, the paper copy is no longer needed. It is not valid after 15 days, and the electronic copy should be the only one that exists.

  6. Q: Can I keep my previous motorcycle license when I apply for one in Georgia?

    A: No. You can only possess one motorcycle driver’s license. When you learn how to apply for a motorcycle license in Georgia, you must destroy the license you held from another state.

  7. Q: How do I know if the Motorcycle Safety Course I take is approved by the DDS?

    A: Currently, there are 16 training sites and 15 private sites that offer certified Motorcycle Safety Courses that allow for test waivers with the DDS. These are the only facilities that riders should enroll in if they hope to waive tests.

  8. Q: Can I obtain a veteran license plate for my motorcycle?

    A: Yes. The same rules for a vehicle veteran license plate apply for motorcycles. However, the plate is smaller, so certain space restrictions for customization may apply.

  9. Q: What is the RIN number?

    A: When attempting to renew your vehicle’s registration online, the system will ask for the Renewal Identification Number. It can be found on the renewal notice you received in the mail, and is a 12-digit number. Read more about drivers license renewal procedures by downloading our free guide.

  10. Q: Can I obtain a veteran license plate in Georgia?

    A: A veteran license plate can be obtained by a Georgia veteran who was discharged under honorable conditions. Veteran license plates can also be requested by surviving spouses of qualified veterans who have not remarried. Female veterans may obtain women veteran license plates in Georgia.

  11. Q: My license plate was stolen. Should I call the police?

    A: All stolen license plates or decals should be reported to the police immediately.

  12. Q: Why is the Title Ad Valorem Tax in Georgia different for everyone?

    A: The Title Ad Valorem Tax fee is based on your new vehicle’s purchase price and value. It will vary depending on the price of the vehicle at the time of registration.

  13. Q: If I am a student in Georgia, do I need to register my car here?

    A: Students who do not plan to take up full-time residency in Georgia do not need to register their vehicles with the state. However, vehicle registration still needs to be kept up-to-date in their home states.

  14. Q: My insurance company deemed my vehicle totaled, but I want to keep it. What do I do?

    A: You must inform your insurance company that you want to keep the vehicle and do not want the total loss payment. The insurance company will notify the Salvage Unit and a title is produced in your name.

  15. Q: How can I make sure my car will pass the Georgia emissions test?

    A: Stay up-to-date with all vehicle maintenance, including oil changes. Investigate all “check engine” notification problems promptly. Check tire pressure and wear and tear on hoses or other components regularly.

  16. Q: Can the DDS suggest a reputable DUI school?

    A: A list of certified DUI schools is available on the DDS website. The DDS regulates all programs for quality, but does not recommend one program over the other. The programs are listed alphabetically for potential students. Additional information on schools should be obtained by contacting the school directly.

  17. Q: Can I pay my traffic ticket online to the DDS?

    A: The DDS does not accept online payments for traffic tickets. However, the ticket can usually be paid online through the website of the county clerk where the violation was cited. Instructions on payment methods and how to complete them are listed on the traffic ticket.

  18. Q: How do I get a limited driving permit with a suspended license?

    A: You can apply for a limited driving permit with a suspended license in Georgia if you can prove the need to get to school, work or a drug treatment facility. You must submit a petition of hardship to the DDS for consideration for a driving permit. It can only be used to drive the vehicle to school, work or a facility and nowhere else.

  19. Q: Do I need to turn in an SR-22 for driver’s license reinstatement?

    A: In many cases, a driver is responsible for submitting an SR-22 for a period of time after a license is reinstated. The specific reinstatement requirements may vary depending on the reason for suspension, and should be reviewed with the DDS.

  20. Q: I received a violation. Will I get points on my record?

    A: Most violations have a number of points associated with them that will be placed on a driver’s record after he or she is convicted. However, speeding less than 15 miles per hour over the posted speed limit or ‘driving too fast for conditions’ violations will not incur points on a driver’s record.